Voting underway for 'NTRA Moment of the Year'
Voting is now underway for the 14th annual "NTRA Moment of the Year." Voters may choose from among 12 Moments, drawn from the year's events. The winning Moment will be recognized on January 19 at the Eclipse Awards ceremony at Gulfstream Park in Hallandale Beach, Florida, and those selecting the winning image automatically will be entered in a random drawing for a $100 gift certificate for Breeders' Cup merchandise.
The Moments were selected to illustrate a wide range of human emotions and achievements as well as outstanding displays of equine athleticism. Listed chronologically, the events that fans can choose from are:
- Rosie Napravnik becomes the first female jockey to win the Kentucky Oaks, guiding Believe You Can to victory
- I'll Have Another and jockey Mario Gutierrez pull the upset from post 19 in the Kentucky Derby
- I'll Have Another runs down Bodemeister to win the Preakness by a neck
- On the eve of a highly anticipated Triple Crown bid, I'll Have Another is scratched from the Belmont Stakes
- For the first time since 1874, the Travers ends in a dead heat as Alpha and Golden Ticket hit the wire together
- Haskell winner Paynter overcomes deadly battles with laminitis and colitis and begins rehab for a possible 2013 campaign
- For the second straight year, Royal Delta wins the Breeders' Cup Ladies' Classic for trainer Bill Mott and jockey Mike Smith, who registers his record 16th Breeders' Cup riding win
- Groupie Doll trounces her opponents in the Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Sprint
- Shanghai Bobby digs in under Rosie Napravnik to win the Breeders' Cup Juvenile and remain undefeated
- Wise Dan breaks the course record in capturing the Breeders' Cup Mile over an international field
- Fort Larned holds off Mucho Macho Man to take the Breeders' Cup Classic
- Shackleford ends his career on a winning note in the Clark Handicap
The first-ever "NTRA Moment of the Year" was the touching scene involving Charismatic and jockey Chris Antley following the 1999 Belmont Stakes. The following year's winner was the stretch run of the 2000 Breeders' Cup Classic, which saw Tiznow hold on for a dramatic victory against Giant's Causeway. Tiznow won again the following year as fans selected his stirring repeat victory in the Classic over Sakhee.
In 2002, fans cited the passing of the last living Triple Crown winner, Seattle Slew. In 2003, the popular Kentucky Derby win by Funny Cide was selected. Birdstone's upset win in the Belmont Stakes over Smarty Jones took down top honors for 2004. In 2005, fans selected Afleet Alex's spectacular victory in the 2005 Preakness Stakes.
Voters in 2006 chose Barbaro's gallant struggle to recover from his Preakness injury while at the New Bolton Center. The 2007 Moment of the Year was Rags to Riches' historic victory over Curlin in the Belmont Stakes.
In 2008, it was Zenyatta's win in the Breeders' Cup Ladies' Classic. Zenyatta "repeated" in 2009 as fans selected her triumph in the Breeders' Cup Classic. In 2010, fans selected Blame's narrow Breeders' Cup Classic victory over Zenyatta.
Last year, Drosselmeyer's hard-fought win over Game on Dude in the Breeders' Cup Classic was the public's choice.
"The NTRA Moment of the Year allows fans to salute the people, horses and memories that make our sport so compelling," said Keith Chamblin, NTRA senior vice president. "We look forward to seeing which one of the unforgettable moments from 2012 they select as this year's winner."
Fans 18 years and older can register to vote online at ntra.com. There is a limit of one vote per valid email address. Multiple votes from the same email address will be disqualified. Votes must be received by 11:59 p.m. (EST) on January 2.