2011 Investec Derby Festival
- Friday, June 3rd & Saturday, June 4th – First post 8:40am ET
Location: Epsom Downs Racecourse
Standing on the Surrey Downs, Epsom is shaped like an elongated horseshoe. The track rises 150 feet in the first half mile then levelling out before a downhill stretch round Tattenham Corner. The straight five-furlong course is one of the fastest in the world.
Key Races on Friday, June 3rd – First post 8:40am ET
- Group 1 Coronation Cup – The race is worth $390,000 and is typically a contest in which last year’s classic hopefuls take on the even older, more experienced Group One middle distance horses. Aidan O’Brien has an excellent recent record in the race, having won the race four times since 2005, most notably with the brilliant Yeats, and last year’s victor, Fame and Glory.
- Group 1 Investec Oaks – Owners, trainers and jockeys will have their eyes set once again, on Classic glory, when the three-year old fillies take their place in the Group 1 Investec Oaks.
Key Races on Saturday, June 4th – First post 8:40am ET
- Group 1 Investec Derby – The U.K.’s version of the Kentucky Derby, the Group 1 Investec Derby Stakes, is billed as one of the most prestigious race in the world. For months, the credentials of the Derby’s leading contenders have been argued and discussed by handicappers, bettors, and connections. Speculation will end though, as the field make their way around Epsom’s famous track. Some two and a half minutes later, a new champion will emerge, taking their place alongside racing immortals such as Sea The Stars, High Chaparral and Shergar.
- Investec Dash – There are few sprints more fast and furious than the Investec Dash. Run just before the Investec Derby Stakes, trainers Dandy Nicholls, Stuart Williams and Tim Easterby usually send a top notch team in attempt to capture this event.