Race Tracks > Golden Gate Fields
Golden gate fields Track Facts
- Address: 100 Eastshore Hwy, Berkeley, CA 94710
- Phone: (510) 559-7300
- Website: http://www.goldengatefields.com
- Main Track (Tapeta): 1 mile oval
- Stretch length: 1,000 feet
- Surface Composition: Tapeta Footings all-weather racing surface
Opened in 1941, Golden Gate Fields is Northern California’s only major horse racing track.
Notable Stakes and Listed Racing Events at Golden Gate Fields
- Berkeley Handicap (G3) | 3-year-olds and up going 1-1/16 mi.
- San Francisco Mile Stakes (G3) | 3-year-olds and up going 1 mi.
- El Camino Real Stakes (Listed) | 3-year-olds going 1-1/8 mi.
- California Derby (Listed) | 3-year-olds going 1-1/16 mi.
- All American Stakes (Listed) | 3-year-olds and up going 1 mi.
Golden Gate Fields Racing and Track History
Golden Gate Fields is also the only racetrack operating year-round in Northern California. This gem of California thoroughbred racing, opened in 1941 on the shores of San Francisco Bay, is a required stop for any horse racing fan.
Much of the sport’s attention has drifted southward since the track’s heyday; Noor and Citation once dueled here at the 1950 Golden Gate Handicap, but the current focus is on volume with Grade 3 stakes and lower. This lures horses and trainers northward to prepare for larger events at Del Mar and Santa Anita.
The Stronach Group currently owns and operates Golden Gate Fields, as well as Santa Anita and several other tracks across America. This entity is basically a spin-off of the previous owners, Magna Entertainment, who filed for bankruptcy in 2009. Golden Gate is home to a one-mile Tapeta synthetic track that was installed in 2007, along with a 9/10-mile turf course built in 1972.
Golden Gate has pared its list of Grade 3 stakes races down to two, led by the $100,000 Berkeley Handicap and the $250,000 San Francisco Mile. With the bulk of the racing calendar is devoted to overnight handicaps and ungraded stakes, horseplayers will find no shortage of betting opportunities at Golden Gate Fields.