Delta Downs Racetrack & Casino
2717 Delta Downs Drive
Vinton, LA 70668
Racing Season: April - July October - March
Notable Delta Downs Racing Events
- G3 Delta Downs Jackpot - 2-year-olds going 1-1/16 mi.
- G3 Delta Downs Princess - 2-year-old fillies going 1 mi.
- Louisiana Premier Night - 10 stakes for LA-breds including the Championship and Distaff
- Delta Mile - 3-year-olds & up going 1 mi.
Racing at Delta Downs
Opening in 1973 as a facility for Quarter Horse racing, Delta Downs would go on to hold Thoroughbred meets in addition to the quarters. Shortly after being bought by a developer for $10 million, a law was passed allowing the presence of slot machines at the race tack. Shortly after the law was passed, Boyd gaming bought the racetrack for over $100 million. The new owners oversaw major renovations both during the beginning of their ownership and then again in 2005 after Hurricane Rita devastated the gulf coast. Since then, Delta Downs has produced several stakes-quality Thoroughbreds.
Delta Downs Race Track Surface
All live racing at Delta Downs takes place on a world class course. Here are some of the specs:
- Main race track dimensions: 6 furlong oval with two chutes (550-yard (QH) 1 1/16-mile (TB) chute and a 5-furlong chute)
- The track surface is a combination of sand and clay with a limestone base
- Length of stretch: 660 feet
- Width of stretch: 80 feet
- Width of backstretch and turns: 70 feet
- Track is banked with a 5% rise down the straight-a-way and 10% incline on turns
- The maximum size of the field is 10
- The backstretch can house 1300 horses
Amenities at Delta Downs Racetrack
Delta Downs features much more then pulse pounding live racing. The race track also has a accompanying hotel and casino with over 1,600 slot machines. Patrons have several great dining choices, from fine dining at The Lookout to grabbing a quick bite at the Food Court. After a great meal, everyone can head over to the Gator Lounge or the Delta Event Center for some of the best local and regional entertainment.