Ellis Park Race Track
3300 Highway 41
Henderson, KY 42420
Phone: (812) 425-1456
Racing Season: July - September
Notable Ellis Park Racing Events
- G3 Gardenia - 3-year-olds & up fillies & mares going 1 mi.
- Don Bernhardt - 3-year-olds & up going 6.5f
- Cliff Guilliams Handicap - 3-year-olds & up going 1-1/16 mi. on turf
- Ellis Park Turf - 3-year-olds & up fillies & mares going 1-1/16 mi. on turf
History of Racing at Ellis Park
Though the address of Ellis Park is Henderson, Kentucky, Ellis Park is actually located on the Indiana side of the Ohio River by the Twin Bridges. Originally opened in 1922 as Dade Park, the race track is 204 acres and has seen both Harness and Thoroughbred racing in its storied history. The track's current name was officially changed in 1954 and stems from longtime owner James C. Ellis. One of the few female general managers of a North American horse race track was Ruth Adkins, who made countless improvements to the facility and racing calendar. The track was also the site of the first Claiming Crown, a day of stakes events that celebrate the backbone of the horse racing industry.
Ellis Park: Race Course Surface
- The main race track is 1-1/8 mi. with 7f and 1 mi. chutes and includes river bottom sand from the Ohio River, with a 1,175 foot long stretch
- The turf racecourse is 1 mi.
Amenities at Ellis Park
The fun at Ellis Park doesn’t stop at horse racing, they also offer over 125 instant racing machines, combining the excitement of horse racing and the fun of video wagering! All raced out? Grab a bite to eat at one of their awesome restaurants, like Lucky Joe’s Bar & Grill or the Sky Theatre. Ellis Park is also happy to offer their catering and hosting services for private parties and events.