Gulfstream Park West (former Calder Race Course)
21001 N.W. 27th Ave Miami Gardens, FL33056 Phone: (305) 625-1311 Website: Gulfstreampark.com/racing
Racing Season: October - November
Major Gulfstream Park West Races
- Sunshine Millions Preview Day | 8 stakes for FL-breds, including the Millions Classic Preview
- G3 Tropical Turf | 3-year-olds & up going 1-1/8 mi.
- G3 My Charmer | 3-year-olds & up going 1-1/8 mi.
History of Gulfstream West & Calder Race Course
Opened in 1971, Calder Race Course was the most successful pari-mutuel franchise in the history of horse racing in Florida. Calder was formerly run as two consecutive meets: the summer race focusing on two-year-old and Florida-breds, then the more prestigious Tropical at Calder marking the start of winter horse racing. The track was known for holding several marquee days, especially the Summit of Speed and Festival of the Sun.
In 2014, as part of an agreement between Churchill Downs Incorporated and the Stronach Group, Gulfstream Park West (formerly Calder) ran 23 stakes races, including 12 turf stakes, worth a total of $1.775 million during the Fall Turf Festival, a 40-day boutique meet presented by Gulfstream Park at Calder.
About the Gulfstream Park West Track Surface and Barns
The physical plant is 220 acres and can seat more than 12,000, and the backstretch can house 1,850 horses plus the receiving barn.
- 1 mile main racetrack with 1/4 and 7/8 chutes made of a 12" sand and clay base with a 4.5" sand and clay cushion
- 7/8 mile turf racecourse with a 1/4 chute made of Tifton Bermuda grass
Gulfstream Park West Amenities
The fun at Gulfstream Park West does not stop at horse racing! Patrons can enjoy 1,200 slot machines in a smoke-free environment in the adjoining Calder Casino. Looking for a place to chow down? Gulfstream Park West has plenty of awesome dining options like the Tropical Gardens Buffet.