Mountaineer Race Track
1420 Mountaineer Circle New Cumberland, WV 24607 Phone: (800) 804-0468 Website: www.moreatmountaineer.com
Racing Season: March - November
Notable Mountaineer Race Track Events
- G2 West Virginia Derby | 3-year-olds going 1-1/8 mi.
- West Virginia Governor's | 3-year-olds & up going 1-1/16 mi.
- Mountaineer Mile | 3-year-olds going 1 mi.
- West Virginia Senate President's Cup | 3-year-olds & up fillies & mares going 1 mi. & 70 yds on turf
History of Mountaineer Horse Racing
Originally intended to be Waterford Downs and opened in 1937, but delayed by a steel shortage caused by World War II, Waterford Park finally opened in 1951 and the name was changed to Mountaineer Park in 1987. Slot machines were installed in 1994 and the property houses some 3,200 machines as well as table games. Mountaineer Park's signature horse race is the mid-summer West Virginia Derby, a popular event for horses who competed in racing's Triple Crown earlier in the year.
Mountaineer Park: Race Track Info
- The main race track is a 1 mile oval
- The turf course is 7f
Amenities at Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort
There is far more to do and see at Mountaineer Race Track besides watching top-notch horse racing. The track features a casino with poker, craps and 1000’s of slot machines. Patrons can also grab a bite to eat at one of several great restaurants, like La Bonne Vie and the Riverfront Buffet.