Los Alamitos Race Course
Race Tracks > Los Alamitos Race Course
Los Alamitos Race Course Track Facts
- Address: 4961 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos, CA 90720
- Phone: (714) 820-2800
- Website: www.losalamitos.com
- Main Track (Dirt): 1 mile (oval)
- Stretch length: 1,380 feet
Los Alamitos has been hosting both Quarter Horse and Thoroughbred racings since 1951.
Notable Stakes and Listed Racing Events at Los Alamitos Race Course
- G2 Los Alamitos Derby (TB) | 3-year-olds going 1-1/8 mi.
- G1 Starlet (TB) | 2-year-old fillies going 1-1/16 mi.
- G1 Los Alamitos Futurity (TB) | 2-year-olds going 1-1/16 mi.
- G2 Great Lady M (TB) | 3-year-old fillies & mares going 6.5f
- Champion of Champions (QH) | 3-year-olds & up going 440 yards
- Los Alamitos Winter Derby (QH) | 4-year-olds & up going 400 yards
- Kindergarten Futurity (QH) | 2-year-olds going 300 yards
- Ed Burke Million Futurity (QH) | 2-year-olds going 350 yards
Los Alamitos Race Course Racing and Track History
Los Alamitos has been home to live horse racing in Southern California since before there were Dodgers, Lakers, Angels, or Ducks to cheer for. Founded in 1947 and running its first pari-mutuel meet in 1951, Los Al has grown to become the hub of the best Quarter Horse races in America, with legends such as Go Man Go, Dash for Cash, Kaweah Bar, First Down Dash, and Refrigerator gracing the race track. In 2014 the race track underwent a major renovation to welcome its first Thoroughbred meets, which saw construction of the longest stretch in North America at 1,380 feet.
The track got garnered significant attention when Art Sherman moved his training stable's home base from Hollywood Park (due to its closure) to Los Alamitos, and his trainee, the colt California Chrome won both the 2014 Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes, developing a massive fan base and his victories are regularly mentioned among the top sports moments of that year.